Friday, March 2, 2012

"We must, we must, we must increase our bust"

Do you remember Judy Blume's Are You There God? It's Me Margaret?  I think every girl in our fifth grade class at some point chanted, "We must, we must, we must increase our bust."

Well, it worked!  Or maybe it was Mom's genes, childbearing, and Chicago pizza.  Either way, the standard B-cup on commercial patterns doesn't quite do it for me.  The Auction Dress requires a Full Bust Adjustment, or FBA.  My first!

I found this great tutorial at Lazy Stitching for doing an FBA for this kind of bodice.  Many steps later, I came up with this:

I took the difference between the pattern's center front and my center front (1 3/8") and used that to spread the width, then added an additional 1" under the bust.  Looks good on paper.

Alana reminds to add the same length to the back:

I pinned the two pieces together and tried it on and it looked okay but I've never had very good luck with trying on pattern pieces.  I need a muslin.

Next step: make the muslin.


1 comment:

  1. Haha. I loved that book, but I never chanted about increasing my bust. Even if you did, I'd say Chicago pizza was the culprit. Good luck on the muslin, Mommy! Btw, you should check out MY blog =D

    ReplyDelete