Monday, March 12, 2012

"Two-Hour" Skirt


Playing catch in a skirt!















I'll begin by saying that it's not an official "2-hour skirt" pattern. 



It seems I'm always reading how someone "whipped up" this skirt or that dress in just a few hours.  So I looked at Simplicity 2609  View E and decided that it should be a two-hour project.



I lost count after four hours, but it's probably safe to say that a solid six hours were spent on this project.  Where did the time go??  I can't tell you.  I did come up with a few time-saving ideas for next time though:
  • Use the serger!  The seams are straight and a four thread overlock would work just fine.  But be sure to thread it with the right colors ahead of time.
  • Use the serger!  I just pinked the seams, but even that takes time.  Serged seams are finished seams.
  • Use the serger!  Attach the elastic directly to the skirt instead of making a casing and fishing the elastic through (twice).
  • I won't say it again, but I'm sure there's an easier way to make a narrow hem - using the S-E-R-G-E-R.

I can't complain.  I have a much-needed black skirt that I figure cost me about $2.  The pattern was $1 at Jo-Ann's; the fabric has been in my stash for at least fifteen years; and the elastic was no more than $1.  I like the end result, and I guess that's what matters most.

Now I really need to get back to The Auction Dress -- Round III of the FBA...

No comments:

Post a Comment