Monday, March 5, 2012

Making the Muslin

After checking with several of my sewing sources, I decided to try something new with this muslin.  In tracing the midriff and skirt pieces, I marked the stitching line and increased the seam allowance to 1 inch (from 5/8").  This is common practice for dressmakers, I'd just never done it that way before.

I also marked the muslin pieces with the center front, center back, waist and hip lines, in addition to the pattern specs. This is especially useful if you have issues with determining right from left and/or front from back -- like I do sometimes.

After piecing it all together, I have my muslin:
Mitzie the dressform, modeling Auction Dress muslin

 As you can see, I've got some fitting issues to attend to...
  • Shoulders need adjusting.  Did I make the bodice too long with the FBA? 
  • Midriff is snug.  Thank goodness I have that extra wide seam allowance!
  • The skirt is snug too, but I also notice that the waist and hip lines are too low.  When I hike up the skirt it fits better.
  • The armhole is a little large, but adjusting the shoulder seams will help.
As I work on the muslin, I'm referring to Chapters 5 and 8 in Vogue Sewing.  I love this book!






 

2 comments:

  1. The image consultant in me says the bust is too low. Perk it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your mouth to God's ear! I just adjusted the shoulder seams and it's up (a little).

      Delete