Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Simplicity 1934 Christmas Apron

I saw this Mickey Mouse fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics and knew I had to make an apron for my niece.  She loves to cook and loves Mickey Mouse - perfect gift.

I decided upon Simplicity 1934, View C because it's just so pretty and feminine with the ruffles and gathered bodice, very nice.


The fabric is cotton, but very thin cotton, so I chose to underline it with muslin.  I thought it would be a good idea especially for an apron that will probably get lots of use.  To underline, I cut the bodice and skirt pieces from both the Mickey Mouse fabric and the muslin and basted them together  before constructing the apron.  With underlining, the two joined fabrics are treated as one.  Here you can see the inside of the apron:

The contrast fabric is green and red holly on a white background, which I thought would work well for ruffling.



 
Gathering the ruffles was a little time consuming, but the most time was spent on all of the narrow hemming.  Basically, every edge of the apron is hemmed.  I was afraid that the muslin underlining would add too much bulk for the narrow hems, but it was fine.  I wonder how the apron might look with a bias tape edge instead of a narrow hem?
 
Well, I consider this project a success.  I was happy with the result and, more importantly, my niece loves her apron.

No comments:

Post a Comment